I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Supper {Romans 12}

 
When I was little, we lived next door to my grandparents. I loved being able to walk just a few feet to visit them. Another thing I remember is the Sunday Suppers we would have after Sunday morning church. It wasn't an every week thing but it happened often and was a nice time for the family to get together.  Later, we would have similar Sunday Suppers almost every week with a family that we were close friends with. They were wonderful times full of friendship, family, and fellowship. 

I've wanted to create something similar here at Taking Time To Create. A time when we can just "get to know each other". Or at least you can get to know me a little better. I imagine they'll be kind of random posts, and I can't guarantee it'll will be a weekly thing, but I hope you'll join me for a little Sunday Supper every now and then.

Not familiar with the word "supper"? Growing up I didn't really think about it. It was just part of our vocabulary. When I was first getting to know my husband, though, he wasn't really familiar with the word and wondered why we didn't just say "lunch" or "dinner". It tends to refer to the evening meal, but we would also use it to refer to the afternoon or lunchtime meal if it was more of a gathering. It's one of those comfort words for me. It reminds me of my mom, my grandma, family and just good times. 

Today, I want to share a little about Romans 12. As I mentioned in this post, I'm trying to catch up on my She Reads Truth reading. Day 5 of Soul Detox was all about Romans 12 and focusing on God's truth. Verses 1 and 2 (but 2 especially) have been ingrained in my mind for as long as I can remember like this:
"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." KJV
 Sometimes it's good to read in a different version of the Bible. Verses may become more clear or stick out in different ways than they have before. Take the second half of verse 2 in the New Living Translation:
"...let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think."
This gives me a new perspective on this verse. It's not so much about trying to change the way I think myself but more about letting God transform the way I think. This makes so much more sense, because, of course, He'll have much better success at this than I would on my own.



Some other verses brought to light for me that we need to be thinking about each other-- loving each other!
"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other." Romans 12:10 NLT
We as believers need each other. Others need you and you need them.
"And since we are all one body in Christ, we belong to each other, and each of us needs all the others."
Romans 12:5b NLT
This isn't talking about just your friends or the members of your particular church. This is every believer. Everywhere. An amazing thought that someone across the globe could need you today. Could need me today. That's how I'd like to live my life. Love everyone with the thought in mind that they may need me in some way or another. 

Thanks for stopping by, friends. I hope you have a blessed Sunday! 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed all of this! It warmed my heart with memories and it was great to hear your thoughts and what you're learning! A+

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!