I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Decorating On A Budget {$4 Tree Skirt}

 
A $4.00 tree skirt? Oh yes, folks, it is possible, and that's just what I did last year. I didn't get to share it back then, so I'm sharing it now!

It looks so pretty under our tree...
I won't lie and say it's super easy to make, because as I recall it took me a while to get it quite right, but it's worth the extra work if you need to save a little money this year!


How I made it:
(I'm writing these steps from what memory, so if you have questions about a step or it seems I've missed something, please feel free to ask)

First head to your local Dollar Tree and buy 4 of these table runners. I did see them this year, so they still carry them. 

Cut each runner in half to make two pieces with pointed ends (you should have a total of eight once you cut all four runners). I also cut the tassels off.

This next part is the most difficult. 
Arrange your pieces like in the picture above pinning them together on the sides. I did not pin them together corner to corner but left a small gap toward the pointed end. You'll pin more fabric toward the top and taper down to almost no fabric toward the pointed ends.  Be sure to leave one side open, so you can get the skirt around your tree.
I had to do some trimming here too. You may not need the full length of each piece of table runner depending on the size of your tree/how wide you want the tree skirt.
Sew each side together where you pinned them.
Trim an excess fabric and zig zag the edges. I didn't actually do this, but it's a good idea if you want the skirt to last a while.
Iron your seams.
Hem the top edge (the part that goes right next the the tree).

Optional: you could add some type of ribbon as a closure if you like. I didn't.


Wrap it snugly around your tree!


5 comments:

  1. I love that it kind of looks like a flower. Good idea to use the table runners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for linking this up to Dare to Share. Your today's Feature of the Day. I look forwsrd to seeing what you link up next.

    http://pamspartyplanning.blogspot.com/2012/12/countdown-to-christmas-4-tree-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tree skirt. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop. Today’s party is live. Here is the link.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/01/week-in-review-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!