I am no longer actively blogging here at "Taking Time To Create", but I'd love for you to join me at my new blog: "Taking Time In The City". I hope to see you soon!

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Forest Birthday Card {For the Gents}

I sat here for a little while trying to come up with a more creative title...it just wasn't coming to me, so I went with descriptive instead. Can you think of any better titles? Oh well, that's not important. Let's get on to this card!


I'm on a bit of a card kick this week. It's really my favorite thing to do. You should see all my paper! I have to remind myself not to buy more too. I just love paper for some reason! Well, anyway, I digress...AGAIN. :-) Here we go:

This card has the perfect balance of masculine and creativity. My "creative" cards tend to be pretty frilly and girly, but I think this one has a nice balance. It's not boring but doesn't have too many embellishments. 


To make this card:


Start with a base card stock of 5.5x8.5 inches (I used my usual white) and fold/score it in half. You'll be doing it upright/portrait/hot dog style.


I added a little color to the front right side of my card with some ink and a sponge dauber. 
Cut a piece of craft or brown card stock or paper about the same size as the front of your base piece. Tear the edge, so part of your base (where you added the color) will show. Adhere to your base.
Cut a green piece of card stock 4.25x1.5 inches. Punch three holes in the right end of the card stock and insert brads. I use a little hammer to flatten the backs of my brads. They lay down nicer this way.

Adhere this piece to the craft or brown piece. I placed mine a little below center of the card.

Here's where your card may vary depending on your stamp. I'm not sure where this stamp came from, but I think it was probably Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  You could really use anything, but I like the kind of rustic feel of the trees.


Cut a piece of white card stock just larger than your stamp.  I believe it was 3.5-3.75 inches wide by 2.5 inches tall in my case. The yellow piece of card stock is 1/4 inch larger than the white piece (so if you're white piece is 3.5x2.5, I'd make the yellow piece 3.75x2.75).


Stamp the trees (or your stamp) in a similar green to the green card stock and then add a little color to the edges with the sponge dauber. Then adhere the two pieces together and add them to the card.


Stamp the "happy birthday" sentiment straight onto the craft/brown card stock and add some crystal lacquer. You could also emboss the sentiment to get the same effect.
Finally, cut two very thin strips of craft/brown card stock to line up with the "happy birthday"sentiment. My sentiment was actually pretty small, so I believe my strips were only about 1/4 of an inch wide, if that. I just cut the length to line up with where I stamped the sentiment, so you can guesstimate this a little bit then adhere to your craft/brown card stock.


I hope this provides a little card making inspiration!


I'm having a blast at these lovely linking parties.

3 comments:

  1. Very creative! I wish I was good at making homemade cards!
    Thank you for linking up to my Super Link Party. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute card. I have the same trees and now I know what to do with them. Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always need more masculine ideas for cards, great design! Thanks for sharing it on A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete

I am no longer actively blogging here at Taking Time To Create, so if you have a specific question, please email me at takingtimeinthecity@gmail.com. Thanks so much for stopping by!